Hockey Is… – Contest Winners
The winners of the “Hockey Is…” contest are as follows:
1) Ted Miskolczi Sr – Hockey is knowing that you are going to the arena to teach kids a game that could alter their life in some way, also knowing that they are with friends and family but most of all at the end of the day hockey is when the kids come up to you with a big smile and says I had fun today coach.
2) JIM – hockey is filling a void in your life that only you, yourself can place the value on. The game by nature is an ever changing enviroment of recognizable patterns , yet it lends itself well to those individuals that bore easily and seldom tire. It is the freedom to be outside of your present life if only for a brief moment in time. It is a dream come to life , in a childs heart. A heart still young no matter what the age.
3) Thomas Guarino -Hockey is very important to me. Hockey is me! I love to play it. It is something that I know is good for my body and my mind.I have learned alot of things by playing hockey. Not only have I learned how to play the game of hockey but I have also learned many lessons.
I have learned that to be a “great hockey player” I must be a team player and not just the leading goal scorer. I know that my teammates have alot of respect for me because I do what is expected of me from my team and from my coach. It makes me feel good when I choose to pass to the lead man to score instead of “hogging” the puck just to prove that I can score. I know that I need to play for my team and not just for myself.
My life is good because of what hockey has taught me. I play my hardest and I play as a part of a whole team. I know that I am well liked because of this. This is how I try to live my life outside of the rink, in school, and at home. I pitch in to help out at home and I am always there for my friends if they need me. Whether I am helping out as a part of my family, as part of my group of friends, or as a part of my hockey team, I know that I always need to work well with others.
I learned that hard work on the ice is like hard work at school. When I play hard on the ice, I feel better at the end of the game whether we win or lose. When I work hard at school I know that I am learning alot of good things for when I am older and go to college. If I put all my best effort into my work I know that I will get a pretty good shot of getting something good out of it.
In the future, I believe that I will be whatever I want to be because of what hockey has taught me. I know that I have to work hard to get things done. Hockey made me see that I have to trust people, be generous, and always help people who need it without expecting anything back. Hockey has taught me lessons that have made me a good person and these things that I have learned will let me do anything I want in my life.
4) Rick Vaile – hockeys is a game of fun and skill where everyone involved learns something new just about everyday they are at the rink. Hockey is spending time with the family and fFriends. Hockey is being there when they need help, to see all the smiles when something great happens. or console when something not so good happens. Hockey is teaching and learning respect for the game on the ice as well as taking that respect and applying it to off ice life. Hockey is a great way to teach and learn life lessons that will arise when we get older.Hockey is a way to stay in shape and stay active. Hockey is plain and simply the best game in the world with some of the best people and role models I have ever met. Without Hockey my life would have never been as great as it has been. Thank You Hockey and to all the people who have help make me who I am today.
5) Gary – Hockey is the ultimate combination of teamwork, artistry, discipline, creativity, athleticism and passion!
We were originally going to do only 3 winners, but both Brett and I thought we could go with more. Winners #4 and #5 will both receive a copy of “In Pursuit of Excellence.” This is a great motivational book with lots of ideas to apply to sports and life.